Belmont County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society

Flushing Township





“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.

Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.


Page 497.

WILLIAM BEATTY is the leading dealer in boots, shoes and gents’

furnishing goods, of Flushing. Mr. Beatty is a son of William H. and Mary

(Miller) Beatty, who are the parents of the following named children:

Tecumseh S., a blacksmith by trade; A. William, Charles L., a professor in

the New Orleans Commercial college; Dora, John O., Frank C. and Birdie.

William H. Beatty came with his father’s family to Ohio in 1835, his wife

was a daughter of John and Mary Miller, Mary was born and raised in

Harrison county, Ohio, while her parents were of German parentage. Mr. and

Mrs. Beatty were members of the Presbyterian church of Stillwater, and Mr.

Beatty was an elder in the same for many years, being one of the leading

men in the church, but is now a member of the Nottingham Presbyterian

church. His wife dying August 22, 1879, in her thirty-fourth year, Mr.

Beatty some time after took to himself in marriage, Margaret McCleary, by

whom he has had one child: Fannie. Mr. Beatty was for several terms trustee

of Flushing township. He enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Eighty-

fifth Ohio volunteer Infantry, under Capt. Bell, and serving with the true

purpose of a patriot he received his honorable discharge from service in

June, 1865. He is a member of the Mitchell-Bethel post of the G. A. R. He

has a farm of 120 acres in the highest state of cultivation, and is very

successful in all his enterprises. A. William Beatty spent his boyhood on

his father’s farm, acquiring a good education, having graduated from the

Delaware Business college at Delaware, Ohio, he taught for some time in the

public schools. Receiving a call from the New Orleans Business college, he

spent one year in that college as superintendent of the commercial and

penmanship department, and assistant principal of the mathematical

department. Retiring from the vocation of teacher, he returned home and

engaged in the business in which he still continues, having met with the

most gratifying success, being recognized as one of the leading business

men of the county in his line. Mr. Beatty married Miss Laura Lafferty, July

11, 1889. She was a daughter of Joseph and Mary Lafferty. The former was an

old settler of Harrison county, he died March 29, 1886; the mother is still

living. Mr. Beatty is a member of Morefield lodge of Knights of Pythias,

also of the order of the Sons of Veterans, Camp No. 290.





“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Pages 497-498.


ALFRED BETHEL – Among the old and influential citizens of Flushing is

Alfred Bethel, who is the son of James and Mary Bethel, both natives of

Virginia. They came to Ohio in 1790, where James bought a land lease. They

were among the first settlers and became well known throughout the

community. They were both members of the Rock Hill Baptist church. The

father died about 1850, and the mother followed him about the year 1857.

Their children were: Sarah, deceased; Lucinda, Edward, deceased; Benjamin,

deceased; Alfred; Abner, deceased; Elizabeth Ann, deceased; Mary; Eliza

Jane, deceased; Francis M., deceased; and James S. Alfred Bethel was born

in 1819, having been reared on his father’s farm and receiving the best

education that the schools of that day afforded. He was married when

twenty-three years of age to Margaret McCall. Mr. and Mrs. McCall are the

parents of eight children: John A., Mary E., deceased; James O. and Nancy,

deceased; Jesse B., Thomas F., and a pair of twins that died in infancy.

The four living children are all established in homes of their own and all

have bright prospects in life. John A. answered his country’s call

enlisting in the Ninty-eighth Ohio Infantry, and afterward going to

Louisville, Ky., where he entered the marines under Capt. Fisher, serving

for thirty-one months with much courage and efficiency; he was honorably

discharged at Vicksburg one year after the close of the war. Mr. Bethel has

served his township as a trustee for several terms with great credit to

himself and much benefit to the community. Although now in his seventieth

year, yet he is well preserved and gives promise of living for years to

come. Mrs. Bethel is also well along in years, being sixty-seven, but like

her husband, she is still in the enjoyment of good health and bids fair to

live for many years yet.





“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Page 498.


JAMES BETHEL, an extensive agriculturist of Flushing, is one of five living

children who were born to William and Elizabeth Bethel. The children are:

Susan, Jane, James, Sarah, now Mrs. Hall, and John A. William Bethel came

from Stafford county, Va., in 1812; one of his brothers, Thomas, who fought

in the war of 1812, settled with him in Belmont county. He worked hard all

of his life, having cleared several farms, and died about 1865, after

living a life of usefulness. James Bethel lived with his father until he

was twenty-six years of age, being obliged to carry his part of the family

burden. In 1846, he espoused Miss Caroline Bethel. He worked for others for

three years before he bought a farm of his own, he then bought 118 acres of

land, going into debt for the same. By hard work and the exercise of much

energy, he has not only paid off the debt, but has added 166 acres to the

original property, and has some money invested in other enterprises. He is

a man who holds the confidence and esteem of his neighbors in an unusual

degree. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Bethel. Two sons

reside in Flushing and are comfortably situated on their father’s farm.

Mrs. Bethel was a member of the Disciples church until her death, December

11, 1883. She was a woman of many fine qualities, and her death caused much

sorrow in her large circle of friends and acquaintances.





“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Pages 498-499.


DAVID BRANSON is a son of Smith and Jane (Frame) Branson, the former a

native of Virginia, and the latter a native of Maryland. They were married

in Flushing, and always resided there. They had nine children; seven of

them are now living: Lydia, wife of John Hoge, a resident of the state of

Iowa; David; Rachel, wife of Israel Sidwell, a citizen of this county; Asa,

now living in Iowa; Elizabeth, also a resident of Iowa; Mary Jane, wife of

Nathan Steer, a resident of Belmont county; and Smith, a citizen of

Flushing. David was brought up on his father’s farm, and having received a

common school education, he worked for his father upon his farm and in the

grist-mill, situated on Wheeling creek, which was run by his father in

connection with his farm. This mill was at first operated on rather a small

scale, but as the needs of the community increased, the business of the

mill increased also. David was of great service to his father, being able

to do most that is required about a mill. He was united in marriage to Miss

Sarah B. Holloway, daughter of Jacob and Martha Holloway. The Holloway

family was from Virginia; Martha, mother of Mrs. Branson, whose maiden name

was Bye, was a native of Maryland; her family migrated to Ohio, and it was

in that state that Mr. Holloway and Mrs. Warfield were married April 29,

  1. Mrs. Branson was one of six children: Daniel, born March 4, 1814,

died April, 1873; Eliza, born May 5, 1816, died April 8, 1842; William,

born December 23, 1818, now a resident of Bridgeport, Ohio, and president

of the bank of that place; Martha, born December 11, 1820, died in 1825;

Jacob, born March 6, 1823; Mrs. Branson, born April 10, 1827; and there is

also a half-brother, John, and two half-sisters, Mary and Maria Warfield.

Mr. and Mrs. Branson have been made happy by the birth of six children:

Martha B. Hobson, wife of Dr. J. A. Hobson, born August 24, 18.51; Anna

Eliza, born January 23, 1854, wife of Henry Hall; Mary Ellen, born August

14, 1856; Lizzie M., born January 14, 1859, wife of Nathan R. Smith; Emma

  1. Branson, born November 21, 1862; and Myra D., born March 3, 1869. Mr.

Branson has served his township and county in various honorary positions,

and is at present the president of the Flushing & Uniontown Pike, being one

of the original projectors of that road. He is also one of the organizers

of the bank of Flushing, and at present a director. Mr. and Mrs. Branson

are members of the Society of Friends, and the entire family have

birthrights. Mr. Branson has 495 acres of land under the highest

cultivation, and now, that he has retired from active life, he can live

comfortably from the fruits of his energetic labors. He is one of the most

influential and one of the most highly respected of Belmont county’s






“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Pages 499-500.



ISAAC CLEVENGER was born in Maryland, about the year 1791, moving to Ohio

with his father’s family when a young man. In 1818 he was married to Rachel

Howell, by whom he had the following children: Thomas, Elizabeth, wife of

George Latham; Catharine, deceased; James A., deceased, and Isaac M.,

deceased. Isaac was in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth regiment

Ohio volunteer infantry serving with the true devotion of a patriot. In

1845 Mrs. Clevenger died, and some time after Mr. Clevenger espoused Miss

Catharine Smith. Their one child is Galen S., who is a Baptist minister,

now located in South Dakota. Thomas Clevenger, the subject of this sketch,

was born in Belmont county, where he obtained a fair education, working on

his father’s farm during the summer, and attending school in the winter

season. When twenty-eight years of age he was married to Miss Isabel

Morrison, the ceremony taking place December 25, 1867. Mrs. Clevenger is a

daughter of Joseph and Martha (Chambers) Morrison. The former was born in

Ohio, about the year 1825, son of Alexander Morrison, an American by birth,

but of Scotch descent. Martha Chambers was born in Ohio, daughter of

Alexander Chambers, but like her husband, she was of Scotch parentage.

Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Clevenger: Ora V., born

October 11, 1868; Eva L., born October 30, 1872, and Wilfred M., born

January 24, 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Clevenger and their two daughters are

members of the Nottingham Presbyterian church. Mr. Clevenger has

178 acres of very fine farming land, situated on what is known

as the “Trail Fork, in a very beautiful and fertile valley. He does a

general farming business, and besides is a most successful stock-raiser,

having some very fine breeds. The family has been prominently Identified

with the settlement and growth of Belmont county, and its different members

are among the most prominent citizens of the county.





“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Page 500.



JAMES B. COLLINS, a successful farmer and fine stock-raiser, is an only

child of George P. and Minerva (Dunn) Collins. The father was born in

Morefield, Harrison Co., Ohio, about the year 1833; having acquired a good

education, he was married when twenty years of age. After his marriage he

lived on a farm and operated a saw-mill in connection with his farming,

continuing this for some time; he then moved with his family to Belmont

county, locating at Belmont Ridge. In February, 1865, he offered his

services to his country by enlisting in Company H, One Hundred and Eighty-

fifth regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, under Capt. Bell; he served until

the following September, when he received his honorable discharge. He was

one of fourteen children born to George and Eliza C. Collins. His

grandmother was born in 1803, and died March 23, 1890. Minerva (Dunn)

Collins was a daughter of James and Harriet (Long) Dunn, of Irish descent.

Mr. and Mrs. Collins were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and

Mr. Collins is also a member of Post No. 15, G. A. R. He is a resident of

Harrison county, where he is operating a farm with much success, although

now well along in years. James H. Collins was born and raised on a farm in

Belmont county. He obtained a common school education, and October 3, 1878,

took unto himself in marriage Miss Jennie Price, a daughter of John and

Agnes (Bethel) Price. John Price was born in Belmont county, and his wife,

a daughter of John Bethel, was a native of Harrison county. The union has

been blessed by the birth of three children: an infant, born March 24,

1880, died when but a few hours old; Lawrence W., born January 28, 1882,

and an infant born January 24, 1890. Mr. Collins is a member of the Sons of

Veterans. The farm and stock owned by Mr. Collins are unsurpassed in

quality by anything of their kind in the county.




“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Pages 500-501.



FRANK M. COWEN is a son of one of the most distinguished lawyers who has

ever practiced at the Belmont county bar. Judge D. D. T. Cowen, his father,

was a son of Benjamin Sprague Cowen, a noted jurist and statesman, of the

same county. Judge Cowen’s father and mother were natives of Washington

county, N. Y., whence they removed to Ohio in 1825, settling in Harrison

county, where Judge Cowen was born January 20, 1826. A few years later his

family removed to St. Clairsville, Ohio, where his early education was

acquired in the public school and at Brooks institute, of that place, his

father being one of the founders of the latter institution. His classical

training was received under the tutelage of Doctor McBane, of Cadiz, Ohio;

later he studied medicine and surgery with his uncle, Dr. Sylvanus Wood, of

Cadiz, and Dr. John Alexander, of St. Clairsville. He did not study

medicine with the intention of practicing it, however, but with the idea of

gaining a broader and more comprehensive education, and as preparatory to

the practice of law. His chosen profession was the law, and under the wise

guidance of his eminent father, and his father’s partner, Hugh J. Jewett,

afterward president of the Erie railroad, he was fitted for the bar, being

admitted to the bar by the supreme court of Ohio, January 20, 1847. After

his admission to the legal ranks, Judge Cowen began to practice at St.

Clairsville, and soon attained a high standing at the bar of Belmont

county, which, since its organization, has been in high repute on account

of the great number of exceptionably able men who have practiced there.

Notable among which are such men as William Kennon, Sr.; William Kennon,

Jr.; John M. Goodenow, Ex-Governor Wilson Shannon, W. B. Hubbard, Carlo C.

Carrol, Benjamin S. Cowen, Hugh J. Jewett, and many others of marked

ability. In time Judge Cowen came to be the recognized leader of this

association of leaders, and practiced in all of the courts of that section

and in the supreme court of Ohio. Soon after the commencement of

hostilities between the North and South he was commissioned lieutenant

colonel of the Fifty-second regiment of Ohio volunteer infantry, of which

Daniel McCook was colonel. That officer being assigned to the command of a

brigade, the command of the regiment devolved upon Colonel Cowen. He

participated in all of the engagements in which his regiment was involved,

until the sad news of his wife’s failing health forced him to resign his

commission and return to her to whom he owed his first allegiance.

Tendering his resignation he was honorably discharged in February, 1863. On

his return home he was made chairman of the military committee of Belmont

county, of which Judge William Kennon, Judge Kelley and Benjamin S. Cowen

were members. Mr. Cowen was the prosecuting attorney of Belmont county from

1852 to 1858, he also served as clerk and mayor of St. Clairsville, and was

a member of the board of education and the board of school examiners from

1854 to 1862, at which time he resigned to enter the army. Judge John Okey

resigning as common pleas judge, Colonel Cowen was made his successor,

serving the remainder of the term. Judge Cowen’s superior abilities were

recognized by his selection as a delegate to the constitutional convention

of 1873, receiving a majority of 2,300 votes in a county about evenly

divided politically. Judge Cowen was twice married, his first wife being

Hannah Frances Martin, and his second espousal being to Anna Martin, her

sister. He was the father of twelve children. From its organization he was

the president of the First National bank of St. Clairsville. April, 1884,

this distinguished man passed away to his eternal rest, his death causing a

sorely felt vacancy in the county. Frank M. Cowen was born February 4,

1855, in Belmont county, and his boyhood days were passed in St.

Clairsyille, where he attended the common schools until he was fourteen

years of age, at which time he went to live with an uncle, Gen. B. R.

Cowen, of Cincinnati, Ohio. That gentleman receiving the appointment of

assistant secretary of the interior, Mr. Cowen was given a first-class

clerkship in the, Pension bureau, at Washington city, which office

he filled acceptably until he resigned for the purpose of

attending college. He entered the Ohio Wesleyan university at

Delaware, Ohio. After leaving college, Mr. Cowen returned to St.

Clairsville, and on the completion of the study of law, and

his admission to the bar, entered into a partnership with his father. He

remained there until the opening of the Flushing bank in 1884; he then

removed to Flushing with his family, haying accepted the position of

cashier of that institution. He was united in marriage to Miss Kate Meyer,

daughter of Henry and Katherine Meyer. Their marriage has been crowned by

the birth of one child, a bright little girl, who was born May 30, 1881.

Mr. and Mrs. Cowen are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church of

Flushing. Mr. Cowen is a member of the town council, president of the

Gallaher tool manufacturing company, and secretary of the Building and Loan

association of Flushing, and in those as well as in his position of cashier

of the bank, he holds the confidence and esteem of the community at large,

being a financier of much ability. This building and loan association,

organized by the efforts of Mr. Cowen and other gentlemen in the spring of

’88, by limiting its dividends to a low rate, and by a system of rebating

excessive earnings to its borrowers originated by Mr. Cowen, certainly is

one of the most liberal and equitable institutions of that character in the

state, and its beneficial results are already felt and appreciated in that

comm unity. While living at St. Clairsville, he was town clerk and

secretary of their building association, and he was also honored by his

associates with the position of captain of the St. Clairsville Light

Guards, which company in a competitive drill at Marietta, in the summer

1878, re- ceived the second prize for proficiency in drill; their captain

afterward received a letter from the late lamented General Cooke, of the

United States army, a judge at that drill, congratulating him and his

command for their admirable discipline and exhibition, and speaking in high

terms of the Ohio National Guard in general.





“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Pages 502-503.



ABIJAH B. FISHER is one of the rising young farmers and stock-raisers of

Belmont county, having a finely improved farm of ninety acres, which he

operates after the most approved and progressive style. His stock is of the

finest breeds and is gaining him an enviable reputation. Mr. Fisher is a

son of Samuel and Eve Fisher; the latter’s maiden name was Packer. Mr. and

Mrs. Fisher were early settlers of Belmont county, Mr. Fisher being an old

and respected farmer and citizen of that county. Abijah lived on his

father’s farm, receiving his schooling from the common schools in the

vicinity of his home. January 4, 1881, he was married to Miss Derotha

Wilkins, daughter of John and Sarah Wilkins, who were born in Virginia, but

removed to Ohio in their childhood. Four children have come of this

marriage: Charley S., born August 21, 1882; Ethel R., born January 10,

1884; Elsie A., born January 11, 1886, and John W., born September 2, 1887.

Mr. and Mrs. Fisher are both active communicants of the Methodist Episcopal

church, of which Mr. Fisher is a class leader and trustee, being one of the

most aggressive church workers in the community. John Wilkins was born in

Virginia, but removed to Ohio in his childhood; his wife, Sarah McCollough,

was born in Ohio. John Wilkins enlisted in the late war and died in the

hospital at Nashville, Tennessee, in April, 1864.





“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Page 503.



MRS. RACHEL FISHER is a daughter of Isaac and Phoebe (Kirk) Hollingsworth,

natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. Isaac Hollingsworth

came to Ohio with his parents when he was four years old; the family

located in Flushing where Isaac received as much schooling as was

obtainable in those days to people in moderate circumstances. When he was

thirty years of age he married Miss Phrebe Kirk, and they founded a home in

Flushing township. Mr. and Mrs. Hollingsworth were members of the Hicksite

Society of Friends. By hard work the husband accumulated a good property

which he left his widow on his death, May 2, 1874. The wife died February

5, 1877. The man and wife lie side by side in the Friends’ cemetery at

Flushing. Rachel was born December 12, 1835, living with her parents until

her marriage in October, 1876, to Samuel Fisher, a son of Barreck Fisher,

of Frederick county, Va. Samuel Fisher came to Ohio with his widowed mother

and commenced farming upon the same property where his widow now lives. He

was a prominent man in the township, having been township trustee, and also

a member of the board of the Uniontown pike. He left a farm in the highest

state of cultivation, the property consisting of nearly 400 acres. He was

also a very successful sheep raiser. His death occurred February 3, 1886,

and the sad event cast a gloom over the entire community, as his life of

probity and kindness had won him many friends.







“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Pages 503-504.



EDWARD L. HOBSON is one of six children born to Stephen and Margaret

Hobson. The former was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, and the latter in

Belmont county, same state. The father died in July, 1887, at the age of

fifty-seven years. Their children are: Rebecca, died in 1889; Edward,

Joseph, a prominent physician of Cleveland, Ohio; Alice, died in 1886; Mary

and Clarence, both living with their mother. Edward L. was born March,

1860, and was raised in Flushing, where his father was engaged in the

mercantile business for twenty- five years. Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Hobson

were members of the Society of Friends, and the family were members of the

same by birthright. Edward obtained a good education, spending two terms at

the Friends college, of Barnesville, in connection with other schooling.

After leaving college he entered his father’s store and continued in this

business until 1889, since which time he has been engaged exclusively in

the wool business. Mr. Hobson has been buying and selling wool more or less

since 1878, but since he has given his time solely to this interest, he has

increased his business until in the past year he bought the enormous

quantity of 135,000 pounds of wool. In May, 1885, he was married to Miss

Sarah Alma Mills, a daughter of Elias and Mary (Brown) Mills. Two children

are the issue of this union: Harold A., born April 3, 1886, and Francis H.,

born June 30, 1889. Mr. Hobson is thoroughly informed in all the details of

his business, and is rapidly coming to the front as one of the largest wool

dealers of the state. Mrs. Hobson is a communicant of the Methodist

Episcopal church of Flushing, and both she and her husband are prominent in

the cultivated circles of Flushing and vicinity.






“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Pages 504-505.



JOHN A. HOBSON, M. D., is one of six children born to Thomas and Unity

Hobson; the former was born 1812 in Jefferson county, Ohio, and spent his

early life in teaching school in the old pioneer log schoolhouse in

Jefferson county, Ohio. His ambition was to become a physician, and at one

time he had all his arrangements made for commencing the study of his

chosen profession, but the sickness of his father compelled him to abandon

his project. The mother was a daughter of John and Dorothy Johnson, and was

born in Loudon county, Va., in 1811. She, with her father and mother and

her twin sister, rode on horseback from Loudon county to Columbiana county,

Ohio, in the year 1812, the parents each carrying one of the children. The

family were Quakers as far back as they can be traced. Their children’s

names are: Benjamin J., Mary C., wife of Thomas Conrow, a resident of

Flushing township; Sarah Ann, who resides with John Hoyle, an uncle, of

Columbiana county, Ohio; Dorothy, widow of John Stratton, the organizer of

the large grist-mill at Flushing; since his death she has been engaged in

teaching in the Friends’ seminary, at Barnesville, being the principal of

the same; John A., and Belinda, wife of Joseph Binns, a resident of

Harrisville, Ohio. Dr. Hobson was born in 1849 in Jefferson county, Ohio.

His boyhood was spent in the common schools and in working upon his

father’s farm. When he was four or five years of age his father removed to

Washington county and at the age of eighteen he entered the Friends’

seminary at Mt. Pleasant. Having chosen medicine as his vocation in life,

he studied for three years with Smith Branson, M. D., of Chester Hill,

Morgan county, Ohio; he then entered the Miami medical college at

Cincinnati, and was graduated therefrom in 1872; at two different times he

was a student at the New York Polyclinic. After leaving college he settled

at Plymouth, Ohio, remaining for one year, he then removed to Flushing,

Belmont county, Ohio, and has by his undoubted skill and integrity won for

himself an enviable reputation and practice. In 1873 he married Miss Martha

  1. Branson, by whom he has had four children: Mary Bertha, born April 20,

1874, died February 25, 1877; Emma Gertrude, born August 10, 1876; Anna

Sarah, born November 4, 1878, and James David, born November 17, 1884. Mr.

and Mrs. Hobson are members of the Society of Friends, and the former is

also a member of the American Medical society; he is also a member of the

Belmont County Medical society, in the re-organization of which he was

prominently identified. He has, since the completion of the C. L. & W. R.

R., served as surgeon of the road with satisfaction.





“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Page 505.


HON. ISAAC HOLLOWAY was born in the southern part of Virginia, earn

Fredericksburgh, Stafford county, December, 1805, being one of two children

born to Nathan and Anna Holloway. Mr. Holloway was reared on the paternal

farm. Had few school privileges. At the age of twenty-one he came on horse-

back across the mountains into Ohio, locating in Flushing township. In that

day this was a long and tedious journey, and the end of it was considered a

great ways west. Mr. Holloway taught school until he entered the mercantile

business at Rock Hill. By strict honesty and a determined purpose to win he

came to be one of the most respected citizens of the township. After some

time spent in business at Rock Hill he removed to Flushing, which, at that

time, was a very small town, here he opened a general store and continued

the mercantile business until his death. He also was quite extensively

interested in land investments, being successful in this, as well as in

other enterprises. Mr. Holloway had accumulated a large property at the

time of his death. When he started teaching he was possessed of just 12 1/2

cents, and like nearly all self-made men, so-called, he was systematic in

all his arrangements, regular in his habits, and economical in his

expenditures. He served in the Ohio state senate in the sessions of 1858

and ’59, and major of Ohio militia. For thirteen years he was a justice of

the peace, and his decisions were never reversed. He died July 23, 1885,

being sick only a short time. In May, 1850, he was married to Ann Eliza

Norton, who now survives him, residing in the comfortable home which he

left her in Flushing. By a previous marriage Mr. Holloway had three

children, they are: Mrs. Atkinson, Otho and Nathan, the latter a resident

of Canton, Ohio. Mr. Holloway’s parents were members of the Baptist church,

and he was reared under that pursuasion.






“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Pages 505-506.


DANIEL WHEELER HUFF is one of nine children born to Daniel and Nancy

(Vanpelt) Huff. The children are: Juliet, deceased; Mary, wife of Lewis

Wood, of Spiceland, Ind.; Sarah, wife of Samuel Branson, living in Des

Moines, Iowa; John, deceased; Mahlon, who went west about 1860, and has not

been heard from since 1885; Aaron; Phrebe, deceased; Jesse, a resident of

Belmont county, and Daniel. Daniel Huff, Sr., was a son of Daniel Huff who

moved to Ohio from South Carolina with his family about the year

1790, settling in Highland county; his wife, Nancy, was a daughter of

John Vanpelt, who came from Virginia and settled in Belmont county, Ohio.

Mr. and Mrs. Huff were married in Highland county, where the former died

in 1866; the latter died in 1875 at Spiceland, Ind. Mr. and Mrs. Huff

were members of the Society of Friends. One of the sons rendered valiant

service to his country during the war of the rebellion. The subject of

this sketch was born in Highland county in 1842, and his boyhood was

spent on the farm and in the public schools of the township. When

twenty-two years of age he married Miss Rachel Cannon, the

ceremony taking place February 11, 1864. Mrs. Huff is a

daughter of John and Lydia (Mercer) Cannon, the father was born in Harrison

county, where he lived during his lifetime; the mother was born and lived

in Ohio all her life. Mr. Cannon was born January 16, 1799, and died in

1855; his wife was born June 7, 1807, and died in 1887. Mr. and Mrs. Huff

are the parents of six children: Charles S., born March 16, 1865; William

E., December 25, 1867; Whiticere, March 24, 1869; Sarah, March 14,1872;

Grace M., December 20, 1874; and Lydia E., May 20, 1877. Mrs. Huff is an

active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, while Mr. Huff holds a

birthright from the Society of Friends. Mr. and Mrs. Huff have a host of

friends, and are thoroughly respected by all with whom they come in

contact. Mr. Huff is a very successful liveryman and dealer in horses. All

of the children live at home with the exception of William, who married

Miss Iola Shepherd, and has a home of his own.






“History of the Upper Ohio Valley” Vol. II, 1890.


Presented by Linda Fluharty from hard copies provided

by Mary Staley & Phyllis Slater.



Page 506.

FRANK M. JUDKINS, the senior partner in the firm engaged in the publication

of the Flushing News-Advertiser, is a son of J. P. and Elizabeth Judkins,

was born September 4, 1848. He was married February 25, 1869, to Miss L.

Ada Hollingsworth, daughter of Elihu and L. A. Hollingsworth. They have

four children: Clyde H., the oldest, is the junior member of the Advertiser

firm, and a member of the class of ’91, in the classical department of Scio

college. Anna Maude, the second child, is a member of the class of ’90 in

the Flushing high school. She is also an elocutionist of some merit. The

other children, Wheeler E. and Rae D., boys of sixteen and fourteen years,

are members of the high school, and during vacation, can “set” the

newspaper with ease and dispatch. Their home is on Spring street. Mr.

Judkins has succeeded in making his journal one of the best local papers in

the county, wielding a strong influence for morality and the material

prosperity of the community.


Pages 506-507.

THOMAS W. KIRK, an enterprising merchant of Rock Hill, Belmont Co., Ohio,

is the son of Robert and Sarah Jane Kirk. The former was born in 1837, and

married October 1, 1858, being the father of seven children: Anna L., born

August 19, 1859; Thomas W., born February 15, 1862; Flora L., born January

17, 1866, died March 25, 1873; James E., born September 25, 1871, died

March 5, 1873; George B., born January 9, 1876; Chester C., born August 1,

1878, and Robert J., born September 4, 1880. Thomas W. was brought up in

his father’s family, attending school in Flushing, and later graduating

from the Zanesville Business college. He married Miss Louie E. Judkins,

April 20, 1887. She is a daughter of James E. and Lucinda (Vance) Judkins.

One child has come of this marriage, Brenton S., born November 17, 1888. Mr.

and Mrs. Kirk are active members of the Flushing Methodist Episcopal

church, and are very popular with their many friends and acquaintances, Mr.

Kirk being regarded as one of the most promising young business men in the

county. Mrs. Kirk’s grandfather came to Ohio from Virginia at a very early

date, living to be eighty-five years of age; he and his wife now sleep side

by side in the Rock Hill cemetery. The family have been prominently

identified with the settlement and growth of Belmont county. Mr. Kirk is a

member of Flushing lodge, No. 291, of the K. of P., Uniform Rank, No. 92,

and is also a member of the Masonic fraternity, Flushing lodge, No. 298.


Page 507.

GEORGE S. LATHAM – George S. Latham, born August 21, 1823 Robert A., born

November 26, 1801, died November, 1865; Sarah, born March 14, 1809, widow

of Alexander Johnson; Lucinda, born September 18, 1810, wife of Rev. Lewis

Davidson; Mary, born May 8, 1812, widow of C. G. Kennedy; Anne, born

July 2, 1814; Fanny, born February 8, 1817, died in 1853; John, born April

12, 1819, a prominent resident of Harrison county, Ohio, having represented

his district in the state legislature, and also having served as county

commissioner, and Elizabeth, born May 30, 1821, died in 1865, these are the

children which were born to John and Lucy Latham. The father was a native

of Virginia, as was also his wife; they came to Ohio and settled in Belmont

county, about a mile from the place where George Latham now resides in

Flushing township, in the year 1814. Mr. Latham commenced to work on a farm

after his settlement in Ohio, continuing in this until he had saved enough

to buy property of his own. He served in the War of 1812, and lived his

whole life as a man of integrity and purity. Mr. Latham passed to his

reward in 1835; his widow survived him until 1876, when she too was laid to

rest, at the advanced age of ninety-eight years. She drew a pension from

the government as the wife of a soldier of the war of 1812. John Latham

married Lucy Ross, January 1, 1807. George Latham was reared on the farm

with his mother, receiving a good common school education. Arriving at the

years of manhood he was united in marriage September 4, 1845, to Elizabeth

Clevenger, daughter of Isaac Clevenger, of Flushing township. Mr. and Mrs.

Latham have had two children, Rachel Anne, born May 26, 1847, she is now

the wife of William Junkins, of Butler, Harrison county, and Taylor J.,

born March 7, 1850, died March 14, 1875. Mr. Latham and his family are

members of the Baptist church of Rock Hill, and are held in high esteem by

the community in which they live. Mr. Latham has served with distinction as

a township trustee for years, and is accounted one of the most successful

agriculturists in the county.


Pages 507-508.

FRANK MEAD is a prosperous farmer and a prominent citizen of Flushing

township, of which he was a trustee for four years, he has also served with

great credit to himself as land appraiser of the township, and has always

been true to himself, to his friends and to the political faith which he

holds. He is a staunch supporter of the republican party. Mr. Mead was born

in Belmont county, Ohio, and was raised on his father’s farm in that

county. He obtained a very good education, graduating from the Iron City

college, of Pittsburgh. After leaving college he taught school for eight

terms, and when twenty-nine years of age was married to Miss Parley M.

Collins, daughter of Zachariah and Rachel Collins. The former was born in

Maryland, and the latter was of English extraction. Mr. Collins died

November 12, 1884. His widow still survives him. Mr. and Mrs. Collins were

communicants of the Methodist Episcopal church and raised their family in

that faith. Frank Mead’s parents were Joseph and Phoebe G. (Nichols) Mead.

The father was born on July 2, 1911, and died August 1, 1884, he was a son

of John Mead, a native of Loudon county, Va.; the mother was born May 14,

1821, and died August 24, 1881. She was the daughter of Isaac and Mary

Nichols, both natives of Virginia. Their children are: William T., Joseph

J., Charles E., deceased; Mary E., deceased, was the wife of Isaac W.

Haines; Cornelia M., wife of Leander Vickers; Frank J., Phoebe, Alice,

Pineous E. and Archie R., deceased. These parents were married about 1839.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Mead are earnest communicants of the Methodist Episcopal

church, of Flushing, and are very influential people in the community. Mr.

Mead has a finely cultivated farm of ninety-eight acres and carries on a

general farming business. His children are: Maud R., born October 22, 1883,

and Lulu Alice, born December 11, 1885.


Page 508.

MORRIS FAMILY HISTORY.- The first member of this family that came to

eastern Ohio was Daniel Morris, who came to Cadiz, Ohio, from West Liberty,

  1. Va., then a part of the “old Dominion,” in 1811, and built a cabin at

the corner of what is now Marion and Warren streets, where he resided until

1846, when he removed to Monroe county, Ohio, where he died. The second

member was John Morris, Sr., son of James Morris, who resided in West

Virginia, opposite Marietta, Ohio, who came to Cadiz, Ohio, in 1813, he

also being from West Liberty, W. Va. He resided with his brother Daniel

until 1816, when he married Charlotte Huff, daughter of Joseph Huff, of

whom we shall treat later, and moved to a farm one mile northeast of New

Athens, Ohio, now owned by Robert McFarland, where he resided until 1826.

During this residence there was born to them five children, namely:

Alexander, Joseph, Margaret, John (now living at Marquette, Neb.), and a

daughter who died in infancy. During 1826 he sold his farm and purchased

another from the heirs of Nicholas Smith, situated two miles west of New

Athens. Here he removed in the early autumn of 1826. During this residence

there were born five more children, namely: Mary Ann, Prudence R., Philip

Dodridge, Charlotte and Elizabeth. He continued to reside here until his

death, which occurred April 4, 1865, caused by paralysis. His widow resided

sometimes with her children and sometimes at the old home, until her son

Joseph removed from his farm near Flushing, to a farm near Hopedale, Ohio,

in 1879, when she removed with him and remained there until her death,

December 8, 1884, aged eighty-eight years, ten months and five days. The

third member of this family connected with this history, was Morgan Morris,

brother of John and Daniel, who came to New Athens township, Harrison Co.,

Ohio, in 1815, and there resided until his death; his descendants living in

the same township at this time, 1890. Joseph Huff, father of Charlotte

Morris, was born in Virginia about 1765, and at the age of fourteen ran off

from home and entered the American army, and acted as a scout until the war

closed, and in the same position in the Indian wars of the northwest

territory, and again in the war of 1812. He was an inveterate hater of

Indians and snakes, having acquired his hatred for the red men by his

brother, Jack and his entire family being massacred near old Warren block

house in the northeastern corner of Belmont county, Ohio, and he declared

vengeance on them and kept his word. When Harrison county was surveyed by

Daniel Morris, Huff furnished the men with wild meat, for which service the

government gave him a quarter section of land where Cadiz now stands. He

died three miles west of Westchester, in 1841. Joseph, eldest son of John

Morris, was born near New Athens, Ohio, March 16, 1822, being the third

child of John Morris, Sr.; he removed with his father to the Smith farm in

1826, and remained with his father until March 9th, 1843, when he married

Mary Brock, daughter of George S. Brock, when he removed four miles west of

New Athens, on the farm now occupied by John Morris, eldest son of Morgan

Morris. Here he resided eight years, during which time were born: John A.,

January 11, 1844, now living near Kennon, Belmont county, Ohio; Mary E.

Charlotte, June 27, 1847, now living near New Athens, Ohio; George S.

Brock, October 21, 1850, now living in Arkansas City, Kansas, being one of

the leading physicians of that place. During April, 1857, he removed to the

farm now owned by Jacob Harris, near Flushing, Ohio, and there resided two

years, and then again removed one mile west to the farm now owned by his

son John A., near Kennon, Ohio, and during this residence Luke V. was born

June 12, 1854, died February 28, 1885, at Flushing, Ohio, and in 1866, he

again removed to the Harris farm, where October 28, 1873, his faithful

companion departed this life, aged forty-seven years, eight months, and

twenty-four day. After her death he resided mostly with his son John A.,

until February 14, 1875, when he married Emma Moore, daughter of Cryus

Moore, and again began farming at his old home, where he continued until

1879, when he traded farms with Jacob R. Harris, of New Hopedale, and

removed to his present home, where he now resides (1890) being, at this

time, sixty-eight years of age. John A., eldest son of Joseph Morris, was

born near New Athens, Ohio, resided with his father, working on the farm in

summer and attending school in winter until August, 1862, when lie enlisted

in the war of the rebellion, serving in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-

sixth Ohio Volunteer infantry, being with the army of the Potomac, Sixth

corps; being in several battles until the Wilderness fight, when he was

wounded in the left eye, May 12, 1864, during Grant’s flanking movements at

Spottsylvania Court House, Va. After being wounded he remained at different

hospitals for about one month when he was sent home on furlough, where he

remained but a short time, then reported to commanding officer at Camp

Chase, Ohio, then was sent to Camp Dennison, Ohio, when being unfit for

active field service, he was detailed as clerk at Kelton Barracks,

Cincinnati, Ohio. In the winter of 1864 and 1865 he acted as sergeant major

of a portion of the Thirty-seventh Iowa volunteer infantry, well known as

the “gray beard” regiment; then by special detail from Gen. Willich as

clerk. In May, 1865, he was mustered out. After remaining on the farm a

year or two, and attended a mercantile school at Columbus, Ohio; then was

engaged in mercantile business at Rock Hill two years. On October 28, 1869,

he married Margaret Ayers, daughter of Philander C. Ayers, and since that

time has resided at his present residence near Kennon, Ohio. Meredith D.

Morris, only child of John A. Morris, was born near Rock Hill, Kennon

post office, Ohio, June 15, 1871, began attending school at the age of eight

years, and continued to attend the country school until fourteen years of

age, when he began attending Flushing high school and continued two years,

when he attended the Belmont county teachers’ examination, and secured a

certificate to teach. He shortly afterward began teaching at Egypt,

Kirkwood township, Belmont county, Ohio, where he taught eight months, at

the expiration of which time, being offered better wages by No. 1 school

board of Flushing township, accepting this has continued up to the present



Pages 510-511.

JAMES PARKS, one of Belmont county’s substantial farmers, and a justice of

the peace of Flushing township, is one of five children born to John B. and

Annis (Gillaland) Parks. The children are: James, William G., deceased;

Hlram N., a carpenter of Uricksville; Adam G., also a resident of

Uricksville, where he is foreman of a tile factory; Sarah E., deceased. The

father and mother were married in Lafayette county, Penn., about the year

  1. After marriage he worked at the carpenter’s trade until 1845, when he

moved with his family to Harrison county, Ohio, where he bought a farm. He

lived there until 1860, when he removed to Belmont county, living there for

five years; he then settled in Morefield village, where he remained until

his death, December 30, 1876. The mother still survives him, living with

the children. Mr. and Mrs. Parks were members of the Baptist church, and

brought their family up in that faith. Mr. Parks’ father, James, was a

native of Pennsylvania, coming to Ohio in 1800. He married Elizabeth Boyd,

also a native of Pennsylvania. James Parks, the subject of this sketch, was

born January 3, 1840, working on his father’s farm in the summer season; he

attended the common schools during the winter months. January 23, 1862, he

was united in marriage to Miss Phebe Alkire. A short time after his

marriage he left his bride and gave his services to his country, then

involved in the civil war. He enlisted for three years in Company B, One

Hundred and Twenty-sixth regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, fighting in

their ranks until he was badly wounded in the battle of the Wilderness, May

6, 1863. He was honorably discharged from the hospital March 16, 1865.

Returning from the war he entered the mercantile trade at Belmont Ridge.

Continuing in this for some time he bought a farm and engaged in farming.

James H., William H., Emma J., Sarah E., Mary P., Charles H. and Anna B.,

are the issue of his marriage. The mother died December 4, 1880, much

beloved and mourned by all who knew her as a friend. For his second wife

Mr. Parks chose Sarah Fisher, daughter of Samuel and Eve Fisher. This union

has been blessed by the birth of one child, Olive R., born July 23, 1884.

Mr. and Mrs. Parks are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which

Mr. Parks has been a class-leader for fifteen years. He is also a member of

A. R., post No. 315, and both he and his wife are very highly thought of

in the community.


Page 511.

JOHN W. PRICE is one of the leading agriculturists and citizens of

Holloway, Ohio. Mr. Price was born in Belmont county, October 16, 1849, on

his father’s farm, and attended the common schools of his township during

his early life. Reaching the years of manhood, he married Lucinda J.

Brewer, October 25, 1876. Corella B., born June 2, 1880, is the fruit of

this marriage. Mr. Price is a progressive, energetic farmer, and has met

with very gratifying success. He and his wife are influential members of

the Stillwater Presbyterian church. Mrs. Price is a daughter of Daniel

Brewer, of Belmont county. She was born May 29, 1853. She is descended from

an old and honorable family. Her paternal grandfather was Daniel Brewer,

who was born in Pennsylvania, being of Dutch descent. The maternal

grandfather was Peter Snedeker, who was also of Dutch descent. Mrs. Price’s

father died March 26, 1865. His wife still survives him, residing with a

daughter in Belmont county.


Page 511.

HENRY STANTON is a descendant of an illustrious family. The eminent lawyer,

citizen and statesman, E. M. Stanton, secretary of war during the trying

days of the war of the rebellion, was his cousin. Edmond and Sarah (Hoyle)

Stanton were his parents. The former was a native of Belmont county, Ohio.

His great-grandmother migrated from North Carolina with her family of five

sons about the year 1804 or 1805, her wagon being the first to cross the

Ohio river at Portland, above Wheeling, W. Va., and the first that came

over that route to Mount Pleasant, Ohio. Henry Stanton’s father, who was a

farmer, was married about the year 1842, and was the father of six

children, who were: Nathan, died in infancy; Rebecca, wife of Robert Smith,

lived in Jefferson county; Tabitha, who is the wife of John F. Davis, now

living in Philadelphia; Henry; Benjamin, who lives near Barnesville; and

Daniel, also living in the vicinity of Barnesville. The father died in

1851, and the mother in 1884. Henry was reared by his stepfather, Ezekiel

Bundy, on a farm, his father dying when he was but four years old. He

received the average education given in the common schools, and attended

the Friends seminary at Mount Pleasant for two winters, afterward learning

the machinist’s trade, at which he worked for three or four years, at the

expiration of which time he purchased an interest in the Davis-Stanton

Planing Mill Company, of Barnesville, being connected with this company for

four years. He then went into the coal business in Barnesville, and in 1879

moved to Flushing, where he has since been engaged in the milling business

with Charles Stratton, having by honesty and fair dealing built up a

profitable business. March 8, 1871, he married Miss Mary Bailey, daughter

of Hezekiah Bailey, of Belmont county. One child, which died in infancy, is

the result of this marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Stanton are members of the

Wilberite branch of the Society of Friends.


Pages 511-512.

CHARLES STRATTON is a son of Benjamin D. and Ellen (Stanley) Stratton. The

former was a native of Salem, Columbiana county, and the latter of the same

place. B. D. Stratton was a cabinetmaker during the early part of his life,

but afterward engaged in the milling business. The grandfather of Charles

was a native of New Jersey. B. D. Stratton died in 1879; his widow survives

him, living near Salem with one of her children. Seven children were born

to these parents: Ruth Ann, wife of Joseph H. Branson, of Media, Penn.;

Abigail, married Elisha Llewellyn; John F., who married Dorothy Hobson,

died in 1878; Charles, Abram, married Hannah D. Brantingham, lives in

Media, Penn.; Mary Ellen and Sina. The latter is teaching school in Chester

county, Penn. Charles obtained a good education in the public schools and

at the Friends seminary in Chester county, Penn., attending the latter

school during one winter. Having acquired a thorough knowledge of the

milling trade, he started in the business for himself when twenty-five

years of age. In connection with his brother, John F., and his brother-in-

law, Joseph H. Branson, he built one of the best mills in the county. Since

the death of his brother, Mr. Stratton has been associated in business with

Henry Stanton, and has met with the most gratifying success. August 22,

1889, Mr. Stratton was united in marriage to Miss Mary French, of Salem,

Ohio. She is a daughter of David and Eliza M. French. Both Mr. and Mrs.

Stratton are members of the Society of Friends.


Pages 512-513.

ISAAC J. WALKER, senior member of the firm of I. J. Walker & Son, the

leading furniture dealers and undertakers of Flushing, Ohio, is a son of

Joel and Mary (Moris) Walker. The parents were married December 12, 1820,

at Newton, Delaware county, Penn., and in 1841, came to Belmont county,

Ohio. These parents had eight children, six boys and two girls. Isaac was

born while the family lived in York county, Penn., in 1823. Living on his

father’s farm, he received a good common school education, and afterward

learned the carpenter’s trade, then served his time as an apprentice at

wagon making under the instruction of Mr. Casley, of Pleasant Grove. After

learning his trade, Mr. Walker came to Flushing, and at once went to work

at his trade. May 5, 1851, about two years after his removal to Flushing,

he was married to Miss Angeline Cannon, by whom he has had three children,

they are: John C., born October 25, 1853, married September 10, 1879, to

Annie E. Bethel, now located in Kansas, is a graduate of the Scio college

and a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church: Joel P., born September

7, 1857; Mary L., born September 1, 1863, married to Dr. J. E. Barricklow,

September 10, 1883. Mr. Walker has always been one of the substantial,

popular men of the town. After he gave up the wagon business, Mr. Walker

engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, taking his son Joel into

partnership with him. This firm came into existence in 1880, and has since

done the largest business in its line in that section of the county. The

son is a practical embalmer, holding a certificate from Prof. John

Sullivan, of Boston, Mass., whose lectures he attended in 1888. The mother

passed to her reward, May 2, 1888, leaving the great vacancy that the loss

of a true mother and wife always occasions in a home. She was a most

estimable woman, and was a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Mr. Walker is a member of the Society of Friends. For four terms he has had

the honor of filling the important office of town treasurer.


Page 513.

JOHN V. WEBSTER, M. D., is an eminent physician and surgeon of Belmont

county. His preliminary education was derived from the old log school-house

which stood near his father’s house. He afterward entered Hopedale college

in Harrison county, and in 1870 graduated with honor from the Cincinnati

College of Physicians and Surgeons. After graduation he came to Flushing

and began the practice of his profession with his brother-in-law, Dr.

Shooley. Dr. Webster’s undoubted skill, and consequent success, has brought

him a large and lucrative practice. He is at present the proprietor of a

drug store in Flushing, which he runs in connection with his practice. In

1882 he was elected treasurer of Flushing township, being the candidate of

the democratic party, he was elected by a good majority in a strong

republican district. Dr. Webster was born January 13, 1846, being the son

of Naylor and Jemima Webster, both natives of Chester county, Penn., the

father being of English descent, and the mother of Scotch-English descent.

These parents had ten children, eight of whom are living: Abigail, Sarah,

Hannah, John, Mary, Lydia, George, Isabella, living; Mary Ann and Samuel,

deceased. The parents came to Ohio at an early date, about 1810 it is

thought, although the exact date is not known. Dr. Webster was united in

marriage to Miss Minnie B. Whitaker, daughter of Hiram and Alicenda

Whitaker, who were natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively, in 1865.

Mrs. Webster was born in 1851. One child has been born to Dr. and Mrs.

Webster: Ella T., born June 11, 1869. Both the doctor and his wife are

members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Flushing. Mrs. Webster is one

of the most efficient religious workers in the community, being very

prominent in both church and Sunday-school work. Dr. Webster is also a

member of lodge No. 291, K. of P., and of lodge 298 of the Masonic

fraternity, being a past worshipful master of the same, and is a Knight


%d bloggers like this: